We're Independent – Just like You!

Q: What do you really know about insurance?
A: Do you fully understand why you have insurance, and how it's supposed to work? When (or if?) you read your policy, do you understand what it means? Are you familiar with insurance law? If you're like most people, you answered no to these questions. This is one reason why you need an independent insurance agent.
Whether you're an individual or business, buying or shopping for insurance can be unwelcome and annoying – or simply taken lightly. To take it lightly is a mistake. Why? Because insurance is there to protect your most valuable assets – you and your home, cars, business and future. The worst time to find out you don't have the right policy and coverages is when you need them the most, AFTER you've suffered a loss.

Read more: What is an Independent Insurance Agent?


A personal umbrella policy (PUP) is an insurance policy designed to extend the overall liability coverage provided by your auto, homeowners', motorcycle, renters' or condominium policy, and acts as an "umbrella" over and above these coverages. Simply stated, a PUP affords you protection against devastating claims and judgments.

Read more: Personal Umbrella Policies

What is a Tort? (And why would I limit it?)

Limited-Tort vs. Full-Tort – What it means to you.

As you decide which liability coverage you want under your auto policy, you will be asked whether you want to elect "limited-tort" or "full-tort". The following information is intended to explain what those two terms mean in plain English, and the implications of choosing one.
The Choices:
Limited-Tort: Limits your right to sue for pain and suffering, except in cases of "serious injury". This "limited-tort" option qualifies you for a reduction in your premium.
Full Tort: Does not limit your right to sue. You do not qualify for a reduced premium if you elected the "full-tort" option.

Read more: Auto Insurance: Limited Tort vs. Full Tort


You've heard it before -- "A man's home is his castle" -- and, in just as many cases, "A woman's home is her castle" too! If you happen to be like most people, your home is probably your most prized and valuable possession. That's why it's important to make certain you are properly and adequately insured so that, in the event your home is destroyed or damaged, your homeowners' policy will cover 100 percent of the cost to either replace it, or repair it.

Read more: Home Owners Insurance

Employment Practices Liability Insurance

Q: Are your business and its assets adequately protected?
A: It can happen to ANY business – even yours! Every day, your business, whether big or small, faces the reality of being the target of a lawsuit filed by a past, present or potential employee. You can't monitor every aspect of an employee's hire or termination, or every conversation taking place in the office or warehouse. As a result, an off-color joke told in the employee lounge; an employee you had to fire; or the potential employee you chose not to hire, are all circumstances that could lead to a potential lawsuit. Even if a claim is frivolous or fraudulent, defending it can be expensive.

Read more: Employment Practices Liability Insurance


Q: What is cyber liability insurance?
A: Cyber liability insurance (CLI) is an innovative kind of insurance uniquely suited to address the digital era we live in, and the increasing risks and exposures confronted daily by businesses which operate online, or maintain sensitive client and customer data on their computer operating systems.

Read more: Cyber Liability Insurance

Condominium Insurance – Similar, but not the same as Homeowners Insurance

Q: I own (or am thinking about buying) a condominium, and want to make sure I'm adequately insured. Where do I begin?
A: Purchasing the proper types and amount of condo insurance for your individual unit begins with understanding what is, and is not, insured under your association's master policy. What's covered under the master policy is essentially determined by your association's bylaws. Because rules differ from association to association, it's essential that you review you're bylaws, or contact your association directly, to determine the extent of your responsibility.

Read more: Condominium Insurance


Q: I'm going on vacation and plan to rent a car. I've been told my personal auto policy will cover the rental vehicle. Is this true?
A: The majority of auto insurance companies will extend coverage from your personal auto policy to a rental vehicle. With most policies, coverage pays for actual repairs to the rental car, but you remain responsible for your policy deductible. In addition, the rental agreement often makes you responsible for additional items.
If your personal auto policy no longer includes comprehensive or collision coverage, the rental car will not be covered if it's stolen or damaged. In addition, if you rent a car outside of the United States, coverage may not be extended.

Read more: Collision Damage Waivers for Rental Cars

Basic Insurance Coverage for Students Attending College

Graduating high school and leaving home for the first time can be an exciting, and, in some ways, overwhelming, experience. In the excitement and anticipation, parents and students tend to overlook the fact that college students may encounter many insurance issues which have not been considered. So, before there's an auto accident, a fire in, or theft from a dorm room or off-campus apartment, or an unexpected trip to the emergency room, it's important to think about, and review, your, and your child's, changing insurance needs in order to make sure you have all of the necessary coverages.

Read more: Basic Coverage for College Students